You might be looking for an easy way to partition a hard drive in Windows 8.1 if your Windows 8.1 laptop or desktop computer has only one partition on the hard drive. You should partition your hard disk in Windows 8.1 and create a new drive to keep your personal files and data such as photos, music, videos, movies, documents, etc. separate from the Windows 8.1 system files and installed application files.
Partitioning your hard drive on Windows 8.1 PC and keeping more than one drive lets you organize your different types of files in an effective way. Not only it helps you organize and systematize your work on computer, it also makes your computer clutter free which helps you manage your computer smoothly and efficiently.
Windows 8.1 comes with necessary tools like Disk Management utility which allows you to easily partition a hard drive on Windows 8.1 laptop or desktop computer without installing a third party hard drive partitioning software.
If your Windows 8.1 computer has only one drive labeled as C: drive and you want to create a new D: drive, you can follow the steps shown below and create a new drive easily. In this guide, we will show you how to partition a hard drive in windows 8.1.
How to Partion a Hard Drive in Windows 8.1?
1) Press WINDOWS key + Q to open the Windows 8.1 search tool and search for Disk Management as shown below. Click on Create and format hard disk partitions in the search results to open the Windows 8.1 Disk Management utility.
2) Now, you will need to shrink an existing drive to create space for the new drive. In this example, we will shrink the C: drive to create space for a new D: drive.
Right-click on the drive you want to shrink and select Shrink Volume as shown below.
3) Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB. If you want to create the new drive with a capacity of 100 GB, you can enter 102400 MB. After you have entered the amount of space you want to shrink, click on the Shrink button.
4) Now, right-click on the Unallocated space and select New Simple Volume to open the new Simple Volume Wizard.
5) Click Next to create a new simple volume or drive.
6) You can create the new hard drive partition with the available hard disk space. Click Next.
7) Click Next to assign drive letter.
8) Click Next to format the new hard drive with the default NTFS file system.
9) Click Finish to complete.
Now, you can see a new D: drive inside This PC in file explorer.
Now, your computer has a new drive which you can use to keep your files and organize them easily.