OsCommerce is a free and open-source online-store management system. It is used to build online shops/stores. It requires PHP and MySQL to run.
This tutorial shows how to install osCommerce Online Merchant on WAMP server.
1) Go to http://www.oscommerce.com/Products, and download the latest version's Full package of osCommerce Online Merchant.
In this tutorial we are using osCommerce version 126.96.36.199 Full Package for which PHP(version 5+) and MySQL(version 5+) are recommended.
2) After downloading osCommerce, extract the contents of the downloaded file on your computer. Generally, the extracted contents are in a folder named as “oscommerce-x.y.z.w”.
You can rename the extracted folder. In this tutorial we are renaming the folder as “oscommerce”.
Note: If you want to know how to install WAMP server, click here.
3) We need to create a MySQL database for oscommerce. Visit the link to see how to create a database using phpMyAdmin.
The example below shows “oscommerce_db” as a sample database name.
Note: Don't use a dot( “.”) in the database name.
4) Now, come to the “oscommerce” folder mentioned in step 2.
Copy the “oscommerce” folder. Paste it inside the WAMP's “www” folder. Generally, “www” folder is found at “C:\wamp\www”.
After pasting, the folder path will look like “C:\wamp\www\oscommerce”.
Open the “oscommerce” folder. It should look as shown below.
5) Start WAMPserver if not already started, and Make sure that all the services are running. Open a web browser. Write “localhost/oscommerce/catalog” in the address bar, and press the Enter key. The browser will be redirected to “localhost/oscommerce/catalog/install/index.php”.
You will see the New Installation page as shown below. Click Start.
6) You will see the Database Server configuration page as shown below.
In the field “Database server”, leave the default value “localhost”.
In the field “User Name”, write the user name associated with the database you created in step 3, If you have not changed the default global user name for MySQL, the default global “User Name” would be “root”.
In the field “Password”, write the password associated with the user name. If you have not changed the default password associated with the user 'root', keep the “Password” field blank.
Write the name of the database you created in step 7.
You will see the message as shown below.
After the database structure has been imported, you will see the message as shown below.
7) The Web Server settings page will be displayed. Leave the default values, and click Continue.
8) The Online Store Settings page will be displayed as shown below.
Enter Store Name, Store Owner Name, and Store Owner E-Mail Address.
Enter Administrator Username: This username is used for logging into the osCommerce administrator tool.
Enter Administrator Password: This password is used for logging into the osCommerce administrator tool.
Change the default “Administration Directory Name” for security reasons.
Choose your Time Zone.
Click on Continue.
9) You will see the page showing the installation and configuration was successful.
See the Post-Installation Notes in the page as shown below. Do the steps mentioned in the post-installation notes to secure your osCommerce Online Merchant online store.
Note: in the Post-Installation Notes 2 and 3, set the permissions to 444 means: Make the files “Read-only” in Windows. To make the files “Read-only”: Right-click on the file, select “Properties” in the context menu. Check “Read-only” in the Attributes section, then click OK. For doing steps 4 and 5, click on the “Administration Tool” button.
10) You will see the administrator Login page.
Enter Administrator Username and Password which you created in step 12. Press Enter or click Log in.
After successful login you will see the osCommerce Administrator Tool.
Now, your osCommerce online store is ready to be configured.
If you are looking for a hosting for your osCommerce online store, you might want to buy from Arvixe. If you want a preinstalled osCommerce hosting you might want to buy osCommerce hosting from Arvixe.